Thursday, October 19, 2006

~What is Love?~

Yesterday I went to KVHS with Allan and Dan. We were apart of the health fair. Haha we were the “the spiritual” table. We were there to talk to the students about love. We talked to them about the four Greek words of love. Many of you probably already know these words but they were….

Storge
- this means affection. It’s the affection you get from your parents. It’s a love we are born into.
Enos – this mean physical, sexual love. Something you would share with someone after you are married.
Phila- This is is taken from the city of Philadelphia. That city stands for the city of brotherly love. So Philia is like the love you would have between yourself and a best friend, that tight connection.
Agage- This means unconditional love, selfless love. We all know the great example of this love is Jesus dying on the cross for us. He gave his life us on the cross.

It was really interesting because some of the questions we would begin conversation with students was …..When you think of the word love what do you think about? What does love mean to you? Has anyone told you they love you? What does someone mean when they tell you they love you?

The reaction of the students was interesting. I know we got some of them thinking, because they never thought about the word love before. One of them said “Love is love, no one thinks about it.” Another person said that “Love is word that is misused too much.” I would have to agree with this person. Then still many people said when asked the question what do you think someone means when they say they love you? They responded by saying “Ah I don’t know…. That they care about me.”

What blew my mind is that they students don’t even know what real love is. They don’t even know what it is to love. Many of them I bet were coming from broken homes. Spilt families, and divorced parents. I bet many of them don’t have the chance to experience love even at home from their family. It was so sad leaving that place and knowing that these students don’t know what REAL love it.

One thing I didn’t mention was that the Challenge for both Allan and I was that we were not aloud to mention what we believed in unless they asked us and we were not aloud to ask them. Also we weren’t aloud to talk about Jesus. We couldn’t pray for them or prophecy. I found it to be a big challenge to evangelize to a group of people with using the name of Jesus. WOW! It really opened my eyes to what some cultures have to do to spread the word. I couldn’t believe it. I learned so much just in that time. I got the chance at just watching students and looking at them and seeing where they are at. God showed me show much. I do know that they definitely need love. They need to know what real love is. Remember God is love and if we don’t know God then we don’t know love.

1 comment:

Erin said...

the health fair! I did that last year! wooop woop "the spiritual table"