Wednesday, January 17, 2007

~Coffee and Conversation~


Yesterday I decided to go to Tim’s in hopes I would be able talk to someone about Jesus. I went by myself. When I got there I bought a coffee for myself and sat down somewhere central so I see where most of the people were. I pulled out a book from my bag and began to read. I read for a little while until I was caught off guard when I accidentally over heard some men talking about preachers and the different churches. My ears perked up.

Now let me tell you in the corner of Tim's there was this crowd of men ageing from 60's -late 70's. They were all in getting breakfast and their morning coffee. As soon I saw them I felt like there was someone there I needed to talk to. I was a little intimidate by them because there had to have been as least 8 guys all talking theirs trucks fixing and other people's trucks.

So I am still sitting in my spot far away enough so doesn't look like I am watching but close enough to see them. haha I continued to read my book or at least try because my mind was on the group of people and I was so nervous to talk to them. So as I reading I just began to pray for the right opportunity to arise and for God to be in control of the situation. Then something came to me. I really wanted to go to the Baptist book room to buy a Bible. I also didn't know what direction in was in from Tim's because I had never gone to the new BRB. Then a man walked in to Tim's and got his breakfast and his coffee. He ended up seating fairly close to me. As I was thinking about talking to this man about 5 of the other men left. I was just about to turn myself to say hello to this man sitting just down the bench from me when a man from the table to was looking at with all the men called to him and asked him to come over. I knew then God wanted to go to THAT table where those men were. I was still nervous.

I decided to go and ask to them where the Baptist book room was? So there I was went I got up out of my seat walked right over these men and asked them... excuse would you know where the Baptist Book Room is? They had to think about it for a second but they did end up helping me about. After telling me where it was I asked them if they came Tim's every morning. I also told them I went to school here and what I doing. From there we ended up talking about ministry, the church and how they see that there aren’t as many people in the church these days, we talked about what Taylor College, we talked about a lot of different things. After that one simple question where is the BRB? It went from there and we just talked about everything to do with the church. I remember asking them what their names were.... they told me their names and then younger of the two looked at me and said ' what are writing a book?' hahah I laughed and said no I just enjoy talking with people and getting to know them. They were both very surprised by the fact I was talking with them but they did enjoy telling me stories. I had such a good time talking with them and sharing with them about Jesus and then them sharing with me. It was really amazing.

Thank You Jesus for opportunities like yesterday where I could share and talk about You with other people I do not know. You are good!!

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

Way to go Jessie....thatis an amazing story....keep up the good work...it will get easier and easier. Doesn't if feel great to do something that is out of your comfort zone.

Shawn Branch said...

Its wonderful how God uses a cup of coffee to further the Kingdom.

Karen said...

i love it....a common base..like sitting at tims can come to something like further his kingdom, or even making it stronger. you're awesome!! Blessings.. love you!

Jen said...

That's great Jesse! Man, hearing that story, I was reminded of how much you have grown and how much God is working in your life and it is awsome!