Thursday, March 23, 2006

~What do you thirst for?....Living Water~

Living Water

John 4:1-14

The human body depends on water to live it can't go more than 3 days without it.

Fact- How much water we drink is determined by our habits, not by thirst. When we feel thirsty, this usually is a sign that we have not been drinking a sufficient amount of water.

John 4:11 The well is deep. Where can you get this living water?

Where do you draw your water?
(pause)
Where do you find your energy?
(pause)

Is it from your family, friends,food, pets, school, sports, church events, or..
Is God your source of water?
(pause)
Is He your source of energy?
(pause)

The world today looks to other many different material things to "feel" refreshed. These things could be money, food, drinking, drugs etc. money, food, drinking, drugs

Before I really came to know the Lord I use try to fill my well with all kinds of different things. I wanted something that I could hold on to and "feel" filled up for a little while. I use to drink and go to parties for about a year when I was in high school. My flesh thought it was great but deep down inside I was hurt and empty. I was crying for something to fill me up. I was crying out for real love. I didn't know what love was. I didn't know what it meant to love. I searched for things to try to fill that up my well.

I hung with the wrong group of friends. They would drink and smoke up on the weekends. For a little while I went from boyfriend to boyfriend to boyfriend, because I was so hungry for something, I wasn't even aware I was hungry for God. I was looking for perfect love........... You only find perfect love in God.

You see I was trying fill my well with things of this world. I came to realize that the only thing that will ever fill my well is Jesus Christ pouring His living water into me. When I realized God was the only one who could fill me up, He was able to not only fill me but do some major work in me and hasn't stopped. I continually ask Him to go deeper in my well because the deeper you let him go the more living water He will pour in. Healing will be done, fear will be gone, offense will be gone, doubt will be gone. Because your letting God go deep and your letting him take control .

How deep do you want to go with God?
(pause)
How deep do you want to go with Him?

God will give you living water. All you have to do is ask. John 4:10
Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." ......pause......
you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

The thing is the world does not realize that each one of these things: money, food, drinking, drugs is great at the moment but then there is a huge downfall. If it's money you could be broke. If it's food, you could become over stuffed, If it's drinking it'll lead to a hang over the next morning. If it's drugs you will get extermly sick. These are only just a few examples there are many more.

God created humans to worship Him. Humans have a natural thirst. The problem is that many people will fill their well with material because they are thirsty and they are not satisfied with what they have at the moment.

What are you thirsty for?
(pause)
What are you filling your well with?
(pause)
Are you willing to let go of those things that may stop you from getting close to God?
(pause)

As soon as you let God take over and let Him be your source of water......... your source of energy, He will do great things in you. He will heal and wipe away every wound that lies within in you. Wounds that are so deep that no man can heal them but only God.

4 comments:

Adam O said...

Good post Jess. This world is full of people looking everywhere for "water". I spent a good chunk of my life looking elsewhere, and it doesn't get us anywhere.
Peace!

Shawn Branch said...

I like Pepsi, but water is better for you, but the best is Living Water.

Erin said...

I missed this sermon- bah.. I'm never in chapel when you preach..bahhumbug.. you should bring a tape recorder!

Jessica said...

Erin friend,
May you should start coming to chapel more often on Tuesday mornings! hahah I love you! I'm guessing your home tonight well if you are I hope you have good time with your mom.